Pot vs Alcohol: What Are Teens Using?

Reasons why ____ is more popular:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCpkLS2VDFg[/youtube]

This is a question I get ALL THE TIME from parents: “which is more popular?” “If my kid is drinking does it mean he/she is also smoking?” Of course, it is different depending on the area and the school, but for the most part I think that both pot and alcohol are extremely prevalent amongst teens today. And as I mentioned in my Warning Signs Your Teen is Doing Pot post, our generation does not really think the consequences (health, legal and otherwise) are a very big deal…which is a problem.

I also want to point out (thank you to my email tips!) that in an article from the LA Times last week, three teen boys taunted and were attacked by a tiger in the SF Zoo. The article revealed the toxicology results from the boys involved in the tiger attack. According to the article, toxicology results for Paul Dhaliwal (19) showed that his blood-alcohol level was 0.16 after the attack, while his brother Kulbir Dhaliwal’s blood-alcohol level was 0.04% and Carlos Sousa Jr. (17) was 0.02%. All three had marijuana in their systems. Kulbir Dhaliwal told police that the three had smoked pot and that each had “a couple of shots of vodka” before leaving San Jose for the Zoo Dec. 25th.

34441884.jpgOne of the boys admitted stading atop a railing of the big-cat enclosure and yelling and waving at the animal that would maul them, killing his friend. The boys were using both marijuana and alcohol and obviously their judgment was seriously impaired, yet even some of my friends believe that these drugs alone or in combination would not provoke this kind of behavior.

Related Articles:

Parent Pot FAQ: Marijuana Etiquette

[Video] Peer Pressure to Smoke Pot

Warning Signs Your Teen is Doing Pot
[Picture courtesy of the Los Angeles Times]

Supporters

Prevent drug and alcohol abuse by talking to teens about the effects of drugs and discussing the facts.

Tags: , , , ,

25 Responses to “Pot vs Alcohol: What Are Teens Using?”

1. John Doe
    March 21, 2008 at 11:01 pm #

Just so you know, you are completely wrong regarding the availability of pot and alcohol. Very few teenagers under 16 have access to alcohol while almost anyone can get a friend who smokes to pick up extra for them, regardless whether or not they know a dealer themselves. Stopped watching the video after chuckling about that. No drug dealer is going to ask to see your ID when you are trying to score. Almost all vendors not in rural areas will for alcohol.

2. John Doe
    March 21, 2008 at 11:04 pm #

P.S. As for prices, most guys who are drinking in highschool are binge drinking. Lets say a boy will drink a 12 pack of cheap beer being sold for about $7. Costs about the same as .3 grams of pot. More than enough to get a friend and themselves high.

3. Vanessa
    March 22, 2008 at 9:30 pm #

hi John Doe

Thanks for the comments on the pricing, I do not agree with you about availability, at least for my friends and I it was much easier to get our hands on alcohol from parents or older siblings but harder to get pot…good to have the different perspectives, I think it also really depends on where you are from

Vanessa

4. Tony B
    July 3, 2008 at 8:13 pm #

7 bucks for .3?

that is insane pricing.

Ive an avid pot smoker and this is how the prices go.

for middies, A lesser strength but often cheaper form of marujuana the prices go as this at least up here in the northeast.

5 dollars will get you .5 of a gram(enough for yourself, one time)- no one ever sells by the half gram.

10 dollars will you get you a dimebag, 1.0g, that will get you high a good 2-3 times depending on amount you smoke.

20 dollars for a dub, 2.0 grams.

40 dollars for an eighth 4.0g, this is the average amount that kids buy today, that will last them a good week or so, enough for the next paycheck to roll around.

unless your me, im up to a half a week, that is with 5-7 friends with me usually.

Beer is much cheaper then weed by far because it is legal and much more deadly.

and they’re at a zoo? I mean seriously, who’s gonna think I tiger is gonna get them. I wouldn’t. they usually have safeguards for that stuff.
    for strong stuff, usually 15-20 a gram, but at those prices no one really ever gets prime stuff unless they have a solid cash flow

5. wat
    October 6, 2008 at 10:21 pm #

i hope you guys are kidding me, almost everywhere kids prefer alcohol. Pot is harder to get unless you get dirt weed which no one smokes but hobos. Oh and the story of the 3 kids? allow me to speak from much personal experience; they were simply retarded

6. Rodrigo
    October 13, 2008 at 1:31 am #

Ok… This is frustrating me. I read the past “Warning signs your teen is doing pot” and i was baffled. This following article, enraged me even more. The story about the 3 kids that were stupid enough to STAND atop a railing, its just evolution doing it’s thing. Before you go and judge me about what i do or how i do it, let me explain this to you. Times, have changed. I can literally go to any classroom in my old high school (just graduated), be it remedial or honors AP classes, and find someone who knows who to go to for pot, if not someone IN the classroom, with it IN the classroom.

Now alcohol, MUCH harder to find. It is NOT common knowledge where they dont check for IDs, or getting it from someone older. You need to be lucky to know that. If you and your friends want to buy some booze, but none of you have these “hookups”, youre dry and out of luck. Now if you’re looking for pot, anyone can call anyone, and someone knows where to get from. i, personally, know 4 dealers. 2 of which, are my close friends. I never needed to show “id” to get pot, nor did i need to “ask an older brother” to get it for me. The dealer does NOT care if youre 60, or 6. A deal is a deal. Besides, like all potheads, myself included, We feel the need to share the wealth, and knowledge. I believe the author has never smoked marijuana, therefore not fully understanding the effects, or possible benefits. BUT NOW alcohol! NOT THATS OK! Youre an adult, and you drink from time to time, and it is socially acceptable! right?! well alcohol is a drug like anything else. Be it ok to be in the possession of a 14 year old? much like pot, it is not. Alcohol, because of its legality, has a socially acceptable status, and men and women both drink it openly, in social gatherings, be it where it be. Now im not saying everyone is out there getting trashed, but it is acceptable. Now weed is illegal, so we bash and shun the users for their rebellion attepts, or just plain old not giving a fuck!

Im tired of ranting.

You get my point.

Dont drink and taunt the lions.

7. Dave
    December 7, 2008 at 10:37 am #

I’m 45 years old and here’s a little of my experience. I started drinking and smoking pot on weekends when I was 14. The times I could drink like I wanted to were limited to nights and weekends but I found I could get stoned anytime so by the time I was 17 I was getting high at least two times a day. I still graduated high school with a 3.85 GPA and went to a top engineering university. I continued to drink just on some nights and weekends but smoked pot 24-7. I dropped out of college the first year. My son went down the exact same road getting drunk when he could, but stoned almost all the time. He didn’t graduate high school.

Smoking pot killed my motivation, zapped my energy, and closed the door to oppurtunity, good thing I had alcohol to temporarily relieve the pain of the next 20 plus years. I’m now over two years sober thanks to AA.

If you’re a teenage pot smoker, DON’T BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK!!!

May you have peace within,

Dave

8. TeenSmoker
    December 12, 2008 at 3:15 pm #

I am 18 years old. About to graduate high school like im supposed to. I have a gpa of 3.7 and i have been smoking marijuana everyday since i was 12.

Just because DAVE dropped out of college, doesnt mean that everyone is gonna be lazy like him. Marijuana affects everyone different.
    It can make some sick, and can help sick get better. It can unmotivate someone, and can give energy to another. It can make someone broke, it can make someone rich. and so on
    just like everything else

The reason i like weed so much is when my mom found out i smoked, she rolled a joint and lit it up. this was the first time we got along. now we talk about anything and everything. She is now 37 and has been smoking since she was 15

Alcohol is 100x worse! for example.
    Have you ever herd of a parent hit thier child after smoking just a joint? No!
    Have you ever herd of kids getting into a car after smoking just a joint and get into an accident. Never!
    Have you ever herd of some kids taunting a lion after smoking just a joint? Hell No!
    Have you ever herd of a kid burning there whole body beacuse of a marijuana related accident? Nope
    What about alcohol-yes to all of the above. Look up alcohol related accidents and you’ll find hundreds of brutal photos. Look up marijuan related accidents and you will find NO photos.
    its sad to think that people belive theres more harm in smoking marijuana than drinking alcohol. I drank a half of a half gallon of brandy once, i had alcohol poisining the next day. I smoked an ounce of weed with 3 friends one time, never did i feel like i was dieng like i did wth alcohol. I felt amazing smoking that ounce.
    If you smoked pot, you’ll understand. It gives you such a feeling of perfection, no one can break you down. You feel like somebody in the world, not the world and your one person. Theres so many wonderful things it does, but i have no time to type it all.

Marijuana is alot easyer to get than alcohol. The reason why you (the writer) couldnt get any is probably because dealers know when someone doesnt smoke and they wont sell to them for the chance of getting snitched on.
    and you say that weed is a big deal, if it was such a big deal than why do SOOOO many people do it?
    i could ramble on for days…but i have better things to do
    off to light one up…

9. ''joe''
    January 28, 2009 at 9:26 pm #

Im a teen. I used to smoke, ALOT(weed not tabacco). Every once in awhile I get sad or depressed or I just wanna have fun so I light up. But when i smoked alot I was talking to a friend who was talking about how he drinks and we were talking near his dad and even his dad knows he drinks but I was talking about why i like to smoke rather than drink and when my friends father heard he flipped out and steamed up and started to yell at me about how smoking can kill you and damage your body. I thaught that he was just a naturally a ”cool” dad that didnt care unless i wouldnt have said anything but after the discussion he called my parents and told them about my ”situation” and made a big deal of it. But I was just wondering if any parents would tell me why a parent would be fine with heavy drinking but be strongly opposed to smoking.

10. ''joe''
    January 28, 2009 at 9:26 pm #

11. ''joe''
    January 28, 2009 at 9:54 pm #

Oh yeah i also want to mention that when i smoked i actually did better in school and could actually sit down and do my homework when i was high. I dont why i could just sit down and do it but im a naturally hyper person i guess it just chilled me down and i wasnt easily destracted. But i agree that it is way way easier to get pot than alchohal and i believe thats probably why ive never been drunk

12. ''joe''
    January 28, 2009 at 9:54 pm #

13. zetla
    February 12, 2009 at 1:04 pm #

i love pot its like totally cool

14. Jacob
    March 16, 2009 at 11:58 am #

Pot is easier to get for the simple fact that the dealers want to make money, they dont care if youre 21 and theyll go out of their way to sell it to you most of the time.

As for which is more popular, in my area everyone drinks and smokes so we party together, so I really couldnt say. I prefer pot because i get sick when i drink to much, you can smoke all u want and wont get sick.

15. Ivan T
    June 15, 2009 at 11:11 am #

Marijuana kills motivation. It might not have any significant affect on the brain but I can tell you from first hand experience that smoking pot on a regular basis kills motivation. That laid back nature gets people stuck in a literal rut.
    Its hard to prove but if you think about everyone who smokes marijuana regularly that it is clear that there is a signficant motivational drop.

16. Jordan
    July 15, 2009 at 10:56 pm #

Ok, this is the story of a pothead..bob goes out for the night, bob smokes, bob stays high for a few hours, bob goes for a walk, bob comes home unscaved…whats the harm!
    Ok, here is the story of someone whos been drinking…bob goes out for the night, bob drinks, bob gets drunk, bob comes down, and bob comes home unscaved…once again, whats the harm!

Now, whats the difference here? the first story is illegal, and the second is legal..now i dont entirely get that. Personally i believe that the government shouldnt have a say what we put in our body. Plus the second story, is FAR worse..alcohol is addicting!!!!

Now, whats the harm in smoking weed everyday, granted you probably will lose your motivation, but you might not! I just find it ridiculous how people say that drinking is fine, but smoking weed, is a felony, horrible for your health, and WRONG…noww thats where they are wrong, in california i believe that quite a few of the counties allow medicinal marijuana, it has chemicals in it which in fact fight cancer, it slows down the symptoms, and whats so wrong about a non-addictive herb which millions of people around the world smoke?

Think about the facts people. Marijuana is beneficial to A. the government. B. people with certain illness’s and C. ME, cause i fricken love love love it!!!!

17. Jordan
    July 15, 2009 at 11:05 pm #

by the way, look at this
    Alcohol (addictive) legal Marijuana (non-addictive) illegal
    Pills (addictive) legal Tobacco (non-addictive) legal
    Ciggerettes (addictive) legal LSD (non-addictive) illegal
    Heroin (addictive) illegal
    Cocaine (addictive) illegal

it seems as though the government has sort of made what THEY WANT to be illegal and legal, for their benefit, thats not really fair, i mean the government shouldnt have say in what people put in their bodies either, i say decriminalize all drugs, not legalize them but decriminalize all drugs for everyone 18+

18. Johnny Doe
    December 30, 2009 at 8:51 pm #

What a joke! Pot is safer…RECOGNIZE! Please keep in mind when interpreting toxicology results that testing positive for THC (Marijuana) does not indicate Intoxication! I’d rather have my kids smokin’ pot than drinking any day of the week.

19. pot smoker
    November 17, 2010 at 3:02 pm #

ay venessa, i read your comment and ay weed is a lot easier to get than alcohol. u just dont know nobody, i can name about 10 people of the top of my head that i can buy weed from just @ my school but i can only think of people to get that alcohol.

lets face it weed is safer than alcohol, cheaper, more fun, and easier to get.

peace.

20. Korina
    January 9, 2011 at 1:37 pm #

Just as information to everyone out there, it’s not hard for kids to get alcohol, no matter what their age. I could’ve started drinking years ago, and I’m only a freshman! There is plenty of alcohol in my house that has been sitting around for years. Kids my age also have very easy access to pot, you know one friend that does it and you’re hooked.

21. look at reality
    April 5, 2011 at 5:20 pm #

simply put pot is much easier to obtain than alcohol. Pot is one of the safest drugs known to man. It has been used for thousands of years recreationaly with no problems. the Egyptians used it when mummifying pheros. pot is one of the best drugs to use scientifically and personal experience are my reasoning. Of the 100 compounds in pot 60 have shown medicinal usage. I am 18 and have used pot since 12 years old i took AP classes and lots of extra hard core classes such as chemistry and field ecology which weren’t required in my high school. I’m now a college student who’s majoring in biotechnology and pot has NEVER ONCE MADE ME LOSE MY MOTIVATION i have used it daily since 14 and let me tell you something you won’t get in petty fights because someone called you a name if your stoned. if your drunk your swingin. when your stoned you can sit down and focus so much better than when your sober. i could rant for weeks on this but its time to go light up peace.

22. Kris
    April 14, 2011 at 7:01 pm #

I’m a stoner, but it makes me laugh when I see everyone vouching for weed on here is in College. I mean cool you’re an average person, but I think society would be more pleased if someone majoring for Quantum Physics in a well respected University was sticking up for a good smoke session. College just isn’t very impressive in this day and age. I’m only in Highschool and I blaze everyday, but I try and keep my priorities straight and I feel like I’m on the path to a good career. The thing with drugs is they give people an excuse not to succeed. You have to motivate yourself to keep doing the things that matter in life, such as schooling and post-secondary education. People are assigned a job when they’re five years old, and that’s to just go to school six hours a day, listen, and do the work. It’s not weed’s fault if you’re going to be a fuck up and decide to give up because something is too hard. If you can’t smoke a herbal drug that has been around for centuries and get off your ass to actually do something important such as work, I don’t think you were the type of person who was meant to succeed in life in the first place.

PS. This wasn’t all dedicated to College students, I’m ranting about everyone in general on this site. I figured there were too many comments that didn’t really make a solid point. Weed doesn’t determine you’re success, you do.

23. ELIMENTS2
    February 15, 2012 at 6:42 pm #

It’s the hormones that make you act the way you act, not the marijuana. PUUUUUUUULLLLLEEEEEEEEASE!

24. I <3 weed but it dont <3 me
    July 26, 2012 at 3:09 pm #

Pot never made me less motivated or hurt my lungs or made me stupid.

However it made my depression and OCD worse.
    I realize that pot (for most people) is relatively harmless but for me it was an addiction and my life was in shambles. I think I’m a rare case butI’ve since quit and I feel 1000% better.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Rock the World Blog - April 28, 2008

[…] http://www.vanessavanpetten.com/2008/01/22/pot-vs-alcohol-what-are-teens-using/ […]