This post started because anyone who knows me even a little bit, knows I am a little bit neurotic/OCD/anally organized…all have been used to describe my study and desk habits. I do not wish it upon anyone.
1) Make your kids categorize their sock drawer by color…and by thickness…and by brand.
2) Insist siblings don’t fight
Sometimes you just have to let us duke it out. I think parents get tired of hearing us bicker, but when you tell us to: “no more fighting, thats the end, no more” you don’t let us work it out and then it festers…and drives us nuts.
3) Say: “because I said so”
OYYYYYY, I am sure I will say it when I am a mom, but oh man its annoying.
4) Make a bunch of fuzzy rules
…Like: “you better come home early enough”, but then get mad when we get home after your imaginary curfew. Just set a curfew and be specific.
5) Say no, no again, no again and then finally give in
It confuses us, and then we feel like we can always argue and get our way…this really doesn’t work with teachers.
6) Say yes to something that you really do not want us to do and then begrudge us the pleasure.
We all fall victim to this…”ok, fine, hoooonnneeeyyy you can do go to Marks house” Then get mad that we actually do it. Like we should pick up on the fact that you really didn’t want us to go to Mark’s house even though you said ‘yes.’
7) Say yes to something that you really do not want us to do and then make us feel guilty about doing it.
8) Tell us to do something. We say we will. Tell us again. We say we will. Leave a post-it on the bedroom mirror. We say we got it. Put a note in our backpack….
9) Change all of the names in our cell phone address book to be capital first letters and correct spellings.
10) Interview us for pain:
(Example in the car after school)
“Hi, honey. How was that test? As bad as you thought? How is your tummy ache, as bad as it was this morning? How were those mean girls at school? Did you eat lunch alone? How is your math teacher, do you think she really gets your learning style? Are you anxious about the school dance?”
Have fun! Additions?