I do not often write about faith and religion and so I asked Cathy to write this post for my readers below about her perspective on faith and family. I will be adding in some other posts about religion and teenagers, if you would like to write a guest post on this topic feel free to email me.
Parents need to know that God can help them raise and protect their children from the evil in the world; in return, children of all ages need to know that their parents are headed in the right direction as far as mentoring and discipline.
Youth, especially, don’t want their parents to discipline them out of spite or anger, and want to know that the punishment is fair and just. They will probably never say it, but they want parents who will stand for the right thing and not back down even under tough circumstances.
Respect is earned from both sides. If you are the parent, don’t do anything that would cause your child not to respect you. After all, you are the one setting the example for future generations.
Proverbs 22: 6 – Train up a child in the way he should go and when he is old he will not depart from it.
We as parents don’t know all the answers to every situation our children face and we can’t see the big picture of where they will be years down the road; only God is capable of doing that. He has a great plan for parent and child and wants the best for each. Difficult situations might arise, but God has all the expertise you need to handle them.
He is a God of miracles, mercy, hope, encouragement, and love.
Here are 10 reasons why I believe faith in God is essential for strong family values:
- God is the only one who can truly understand what you are going through.
- When you pour out your problems to Him, He will give you the encouragement you need to keep focused and on the right track.
- A born-again Christian has the wonderful gift of the Holy Spirit living inside them from the time of salvation. His job is to give guidance and show you the truth, but you must ask Him and be open to what He says. You don’t have to worry about having to handle problems by yourself any more.
- God truly understands both parents and children and He can help you see the other point of view. When you can communicate with each other, it makes it a lot easier to understand a different viewpoint.
- He can also change your heart and heal the hurt so that you can truly love each other again.
- God is supernatural in every way, and He can show you exactly how to pray for your parents or your children.
- He can minister healing in such a way that full restoration can take place. This could take years if you try to do it on your own, if it ever happens at all.
- God can keep you from thinking and acting in the flesh and doing something you will regret.
- He can warn you of attacks from Satan that would try to destroy your family or harm them in some way.
- He loves you and your family beyond anything that you could ever comprehend, and He always wants the best for you. You really can trust Him with your problems.
Put your trust in God and see what He will do. He wants you to give Him your worries and problems and let Him work them out. Believe me, it will be in a much better way than you could ever imagine. You truly can learn to walk in victory each day!
Cathy Deaton is the author of Handbook for Victorious Christian Living, a book that gives practical ways for every Christian to learn to live a victorious life in God. http://handbook-victorious-christian-living.com
This Handbook is the result of how God has miraculously worked in her life to show her Who He really is. Also, please check out her blog http://who-god-is.com