10 Best Board Games for Families with Teens and Tweens

Image via Wikipedia

My family is obsessed with games.  We play card games, board games and car games all the time.  Why I think every family should try to have game night:

-Playing board games is a great way for kids and teens to develop social skills.

-Playful competition can get rid of any tension in the family.

-Games is a great way to get to know your child.  Whether it is with actual get-to-know-you style games or just plain fun, you can learn what kind of character your child has.

-You can teach values through board games.  You can teach your kids about losing well, being honest and being a good sport while playing board games!

-Great way to bond without having long serious talks

-Games can be educational! Lots of word and math games below that can help develop good language skills.

Here are some of my favorite games for families:

1) Scene It

For teens who are movie buffs, this is awesome. They also have Disney Scene It, Seinfeld Scene It and Harry Potter Scene It.

2) Quiddler

My family and I love this game of words, really great for teaching kids language smarts!

3) Scategories

This always gets us laughing and is good for all ages.

4) Pop Cranium

We love Cranium too, but this one is better for the myriad of ages in our family, plus it is Pictionary, Charades and word games all rolled into one.

5) Clue

Who doesn’t love a good game of mystery? (Answer: My mom hates this game and we always fight her to play it.)

6) Scrabble

Another one that is great for word building, this is a classic great game to always have in the house.

7) Apples to Apples

I play this with my friends all the time because it is a great way to get to know each of your family members as a person.  It also always gets some good laughs.

Go get playing!

This post is dedicated to my cousins Sean, Christian and David Lane who are a big part of our board-game obsessed family.  Great croquet partners as well and one budding entrepreneur, thanks for always making me laugh at family get-togethers!

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

If you liked this article get more Radical Parenting in our new book: Do I Get My Allowance Before or After I’m Grounded?

16 Responses to “10 Best Board Games for Families with Teens and Tweens”

1. Pat Montgomery
    February 26, 2009 at 9:39 am #

I would add Cashflow or Cashflow for Kids to this list–from the author of Rich Dad, Poor Dad

2. Mary Couzin
    February 27, 2009 at 6:45 am #

Games are a great social tool and they can help kids in school as well. Visit http://www.gamesforeducators.com for research on why games are good for kids and read about how parents, teachers and librarians are using board games to reach kids and expand their brain power.

3. Angi
    February 27, 2009 at 8:54 am #

Role-playing games are fun for families too. Ours plays several different RPG’s from fantasy to sci-fi. Getting to make up and play characters is a great way to interact with each other as a family.

4. free sex games mediation
    February 28, 2009 at 8:11 am #

Cashflow for kids is one of the bes game for adults and kids.

5. virtual worlds for kids
    April 14, 2009 at 2:43 am #

interesting list of games! our favourite is scrabble, but now I think we have more choices to explore. thanksZ!

6. john smith
    April 25, 2009 at 2:20 pm #

You guys really need to recomend some real Good games. Not cheesy ones that get boring after five min. A few good games ar settlers of catan, Antike, tikal, pillers of the earth, 1503,connect four, spy alley, sorry, ticket to ride, and wings of war. Think about it, some of those games you have listed are games that a lot of my friends don’t like too much.

7. Vanessa Van Petten
    May 3, 2009 at 5:29 pm #

thanks for adding!

8. guelealry
    August 28, 2009 at 7:08 am #

Anyone know any other http://www.girlsgametoo.com – Girls Games my 10yr daughter can play online

9. Edith Chepkirui Ronoh
    November 4, 2009 at 12:20 am #

Teenagers are always interesting people to associate with although am not a teen, i am 23yrs and am persueing my degree in development studies in Bugema University in Uganda-Africa.My nationality is Kenyan.
    If teens are allowed to maximise their time in games, it builds them physically and socially!

10. Scott Smith
    January 4, 2010 at 9:07 pm #

My family has enjoyed Apples to Apples & we have the Disney version of Scene It (although, we change the rule to fit our family). Pajaggle Boards are fun to take to the coffee shop or ice cream hangout. My kids (7, 11, 13) played with their uncle (31) and grandpa (75) all on the same board several times in a non-competitive game. Cool!

11. Virtual Worlds for Kids
    August 11, 2010 at 6:25 pm #

My family plays it all the time when my grandparents come to town. I LOVE Apples To Apples!

12. Virtual Worlds for Kids
    August 11, 2010 at 6:26 pm #

Apples To Apples is my favorite game! My family plays it all the time when my grandparents come to town.

1. Teen Coach/Gen Y Guide “best of the web” this week : Teen Coach - Gen Y Guide - Sarah Newton - March 7, 2009

[…] What Every Parent Should Know About Alcohol and the Teenage Brain Middle Child Syndrome How Parenting Affects Your Child’s Personality? Teen Cliques 10 Best Board Games for Families with Teens and Tweens […]

2. Family Commuication Experts "best of the web" this week - Fink Cards for Family Teens - March 7, 2009

[…] 10 Best Board Games for Families with Teens and Tweens […]

3. Cedar Valley Publishing » Let’s Get Ready For Guest Blogger, Vanessa Van Petten’s 50 Best Parenting Book List - May 15, 2009

[…] 10 Best Board Games for Families with Teens and Tweens Image via Wikipedia My family is obsessed with […]

4. Family Game Night : savvy.mn - May 20, 2013

[…] Van Petten of RadicalParenting.com writes that playing board games with tweens and teens is a great way of bonding without having a […]