We have many entrepreneurial readers on this blog. I love getting emails from teens about their new business ideas and some of the amazing moms who send in their pitches for products, websites and business ideas. Occasionally, I try to post articles to help the entrepreneurial spirits as many people ask me what books and advice we have for not only making money with your business, but also building your brand. I am reading David Siteman Garland’s new book: Smarter, Faster Cheaper: Non-Boring, Fluff-free Strategies for Marketing and Promoting Your Business. And wanted to share with you a few of his amazing tidbits that I think are especially important for mom and teens who own or want to start their own business!
1) The perfect storm for marketing smarter, faster and cheaper is: Passion, Personality, Knowledge.
2) Be your own media source.
(I constantly talk about this one for teens because I think it is really important. One of the reasons we get a lot of media appearances and news shows is because we provide a lot of interesting news and media ourselves.)
3) Create lots of awesome content…and don’t forget video content.
4) Don’t be afraid if you do not have an exact road map…this is good because it gives you flexibility to grow in lots of different directions!
5) Expand your digital connections with digital schmoozing!
6) When networking with others, always offer to give first and THEN make it easy for them to help you with your work.
David’s tips are awesome and especially relevant to those of you who are building more and more of your business online. Check out his new book, I highly recommend it: Smarter, Faster Cheaper: Non-Boring, Fluff-free Strategies for Marketing and Promoting Your Business.