Many teenagers complain to us that they feel their parents do not really know them or want to know them. Unlike adults, a teenager’s dislikes and likes change rapidly, so their favorite color at age 11 is very different than…11 and a half. Do you know some of these basic facts about your teenager?
How Well Do You Know Your Child Quiz:
1) What is your teen’s favorite band or music artist?
2) What is your teen’s favorite food?
3) Does your teenager have a best friend? What is his or her name?
4) Where does your teenager usually hang out on the weekends?
5) What is your teenager’s favorite subject in school?
6) Who is your teenager’s least favorite teacher? Why?
A little deeper…
7) If your teenager could change one thing about himself or herself what would it be?
8) What takes up the most time in your teenager’s life?
9) What irritates your teen the most on a daily basis?
10) What does your teen worry about the most?
11) Who are your teen’s heroes?
12) Does your teenager trust you?
13) Would your teenager feel comfortable coming to you with a serious problem?
I challenge you to answer these question and then talk to your teen about your answers. It will hopefully start a great conversation. If they are realyl feeling up to it you can also ask your teen to take this questionnaire about you:
How Well Do You Know Your Parents Quiz:
1) What is your mom’s maiden name?
2) What are your parents’ favorite colors?
3) What do your parents do during their free time?
4) What are your parents’ favorite movies?
5) Where did your parents go to High School?
6) What are your parents’ favorite musical artists?
7) What do your parents do for a living?
A little deeper…
8) What is the biggest issue in your parents’ life right now?
9) What do your parents want for you?
10) What do you think irritates your parents most on a daily basis?
11) What takes up the most time in your parents’ lives?
12) Do your parents trust you?
13) What are some of your parents’ strongest morals or beliefs—the ones they live by?
Good luck, and have fun with this exercise–it is just a great way to get to know each other!
Image: by purple slog from Flickr