Smart phones are arguably the most popular technological advancement to grace this world. The iPhone can be considered something of a miracle. The App Store boasts innumerable selections ranging from games to networking to education. As the owner of an iPhone, here is a list of my top ten apps and why they are so glorious – oh yeah, and they’re all free!
1. Facebook: In a world where social networking is dominant, this app is an inevitable installation to make. It is very convenient to be able to update your status from anywhere, to upload photos and tag the people in them, and to check in from your current location.
2. Twitter: Again, another social networking creation that can allow you to tweet anything from anywhere. For when you’re simply bored, scrolling through your Timeline is an easy way to kill some time.
3. Google: When in doubt, Google it! It’s incredible how efficient this app is. Whenever a question arises, finding the answer is as easy as 1, 2, 3.
4. Temple Run: Without a doubt, one of the most addicting games to hit the App Store. The concept is: you are a daring explorer who, after having stolen a golden idol from an ancient temple, must run away from zombie-monkey-creatures. This game is endless, and the challenges of the obstacles in your path – tree roots, flames, missing sections of the floor – heighten in difficulty the longer you manage to last. Luckily, there are power ups to help you break your personal records.
5. Pandora Radio: This is especially great when you are traveling. Once you let the app know who your favorite artists are, it’ll create a live-streamed playlist not only of your favorite singer but also of similar artists. Pandora provides you with music that is customized for your personal taste.
6. Sound Hound: Have you ever heard a song on the radio, really liked it, and found yourself desperate to find out the name of the song and who sings it? With this app, you can! Just hold your phone close to the speakers, press one button, and it’ll figure out all of the details of what song is playing.
7. Pocket Potions: Another addicting game. You play as the owner of a potion store that attracts an eclectic group of magical folk. As you earn money, you can expand the store, decorate it, and buy more cauldrons and ingredients so you can brew more unique potions.
8. Flashlight: This may sound obscure, but you’d be surprised how many times this app has come in handy. It’s always good to have a flashlight on you.
9. Around Me: All you have to do is enable your current location and this app will let you know exactly what’s near you. From restaurants to movie theaters to banks to hotels, you’ll be able to find anything you need.
10. iTunes U: A new addition to the App Store, you can get university lectures on a number of subtopics within the general categories of Math, Science, History, Literature, Humanities, and Language, among others. It’s a great study device for students of all ages!
Photo: Tom Raftery from Flickr