Media plays a big role in today’s society. It informs us with all that is going on in the world, all of the new products that are on the market, etc. Although media is very informative, it can also have a negative effect on society, especially on teen girls, the minority who struggles with body image issues, self esteem, and acceptance the most. Their struggles of body image issues, self esteem, and acceptance is brought out the most when they look at how perfect and flawless women look in magazines, advertisements, commercials, posters, and billboards. All of the perfection they see in these elements of media are photoshoped, a method that gives teen girls a perception of what one has to look like to be categorized as being beautiful in today’s society. When teen girls look at photoshopped women, they feel that the characterics they see are the only things that categorize a woman as being beautiful.
The characteristics that teen girls feel categorize a woman as being beautiful when they look at photoshopped women is:
1. Flawless skin
2. Being skinny
3. White teeth
4. Straight teeth
5. Having straight hair
These characteristics are 5 of many that makes teen girls believe one must posses to be considered beautiful. When teen girls look at photoshopped women, they tend to feel ugly and bad about themselves.
Teen girls tend to feel ugly and bad about themselves when they look at photoshopped women because:
1. They feel that they don’t match up to their beauty and perfection.
2. They don’t look as perfect and flawless as these photoshopped women.
A lot of teen girls now a days put themselves down when they look at photoshopped women. They feel as if they aren’t beautiful because of these 2 reasons. With all of the negativities that photoshop brings to teen girls, it needs to be banned.
The main reasons why photoshop needs to be banned is because:
1. It tricks teen girls into thinking that the women they see in magazines, etc are what is considered beautiful.
2. It exploits a negative message to teen girls.
3. It causes teen girls to feel self conscious about themselves when they look at photoshopped women.
4. It promotes perfection, something that is non-existent.
5. It’s getting out of hand.
6. It makes teen girls believe that perfection does exist.
7. It brainwashes teen girls into thinking that being skinny and looking perfect is what beautiful is.
These 7 main reasons make it reasonable to ban photoshop in ads, etc. Photoshop exploits perfection, something that is non-existent. There really is no point of exploiting perfection if it doesn’t exist. No matter how many photoshopped women there are in magazines, etc, all women and teen girls are beautiful in all shapes, sizes, and forms. To embrace what true beauty is, companies need to stop using photoshop and promote women for who they really are without modifying any feature.
Image: AV8TER from Flickr